Day 77 - Artist Ability

Since I was little, I've repeated to myself that I cannot do what great artists can do.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to separate myself from others who have practiced painting and drawing, that have refined their art and honed their skills, to the effect that I believe that I can never accomplish what they can.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to believe I cannot draw or paint beautiful works of art.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to doubt myself as a creative artist of any kind.

When and as I see myself existing within the same reaction train of thought toward 'great' artwork, generally something like "I cannot accomplish such a beautiful drawing," I stop I breathe.

I realize that the artist and myself are born of the same substance, and that I can accomplish great feats of art given enough patience and practice. The doubt of my creative ability is only that.

I commit myself to begin opening up to seeing myself through the eyes of an artist.

I commit myself to stop allowing self-doubt to halt my efforts at being a creative artist.

I commit myself to practice drawing. But for now, I will admire and reuse the work of others :)

photo credit: James Mylne

1 comment: