Day 9 - Parkour Fears Addressed


The Roman gap

     Today I watched an sweet indie film, documenting the art of Parkour (wiki), or free running. The movie, People in Motion, had a great concept: We move to be in that flow moment, to face our fears, and to share accomplishment with others. Until today, I had vaguely decided that I was going stop practicing this movement out of fear of harming my physical body. The risks associated with parkour are...well death. I was about to quit my favorite sport because of fear of disability and of death! There will be a point when my body tells me enough, but that's not now, not at age 23, and not because my mind injects fear. Enough blabber..

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to make a choice to quit this particular style of movement because I perceived it as dangerous and fear hurting myself.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to act in fear, and in this stop a sincere form of self-expression.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear death.

I forgive myself for for not seeing that I can still conduct free-movements without pushing the limits, using common sense and listening to my body to refrain from being reckless.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to not trust myself, for with untainted self-honesty, I will know my limits.

I forgive myself for ever accepting and allowing myself to push myself through a fear from the perspective of anyone else but myself. It is when I allow external pressures to override my inherent common sense that risk of injury increases dramatically.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to have my starting point within a movement be convoluted by others' opinions, or my perception of others' opinons, instead of making sure that I am calm and stable before I, as myself as life, choose to move.

--

I commit myself to not letting fear prevent me from moving in space-time.

I commit myself to realizing when fear is hindering my forward progress, and to push through the fear and assess the given situation with clarity.

I commit myself to assessing my starting point, and re-starting when I am not certain that I am the one make the decision for myself if the coming action is best for all, or not. If I seriously hurt myself, then it is not a best for all action, and thus my starting point was not clear.

I commit myself to always having a best for all starting point, in parkour and in life.





Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. interesting, thanks. What I notice within my hobby as flying rc planes is that when I'm moved by energy as excitement I cannot be fully aware of the physical reality and then I tend to forget things which can even cause me to crash my plane, I mean there are consequences.
    I find it difficult however to enjoy my hobby without excitement, because that's what made me have this hobby in the first place: I'm excited/fascinated by flying objects, lol. So it's a process to get rid o all feeling reactions and simply be here one with and equal to the plane, the air/wind the my body and the Earth. Cheers

    ReplyDelete