Day 235 - Opportunist vs Excuse Maker

flickr
The past 2 days, I've been writing about hope and luck. Today, I want to build context. I have always been attracted to the opportunity for advancement. Isn't everyone?

Well, I think my problem had evolved over the years as I got used to a stream of great opportunities. I began to expect great deals and accept nothing less. For instance, when I want something that I may be able find used, I go straight to Craigslist.org to find the good deal. As I enter the job market, I have been comparing my time spent working for money against my time spent developing my character.

I watched a cool TED talk today called Why you will fail to have a great career by Larry Smith. Basically, I saw myself more clearly as a person that has dreams, but also as the person who makes excuses to not pursue them as I wait/hope for my lucky break, my perfect opportunity to reach my goals. Quite the wake-up call.

Will I continue to separate myself from reality as a dreamer that doesn't put forth the effort to make my dreams come true? No, I will not. I am done waiting for greatness. I once heard that preparedness is essential to seize opportunity. It's time to stop making excuses and prepare myself for the road ahead.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to become accustomed to great opportunities to the degree that I do not act unless a great opportunity presents itself.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to not realize my responsibility to create my own opportunity.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to not be proactive about seeking or creating opportunity.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to fear losing an opportunity because I wasn't prepared.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to separate myself from reality by identifying with my imagined greatness that was to unfold through opportunity that I projected in my future based on nothing more than pure desire.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to believe that I will be fortunate for the rest of my life and that I will not have to work hard because I am good at seizing great opportunities.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to compromise myself by only considering my desired careers/jobs/opportunities without establishing a practical means to get myself in that desired position.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to waste time waiting for opportunity.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to not take the initiative for creating myself in alignment with my desired opportunity.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to make excuses so I could remain safe and not risk failing.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to charge the word failure and allow it to direct my decision process through excuses to not create opportunity.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to doubt my ability and so hold myself back from reaching my potential.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to only act on safe and obvious opportunities and in this allow myself to become complacent and hopeful of the next opportunity.

To be continued tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment